The Blended Online MHFA Workplace Course has been adapted from the Standard Mental Health First Aid Course for adults.
In this informative and practical course you will learn about the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems in adults, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide mental health first aid in a crisis situation using a practical, evidence-based action plan.
This course focuses on the workplace and provides relevant information and tailored scenarios and exercises that will provide participants with the knowledge and skills to provide initial mental health first aid to assist colleagues, clients, and other workplace contacts who may be developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis, and how to connect people needing assistance to existing workplace supports and external professional help.
Developed in response to COVID-19, the new Blended Online MHFA Workplace Course includes two course components.
Course Component 1 – Self-paced interactive eLearning (5-7 hours)
The eLearning course component presents an overview of mental health problems and mental health crises.
Developing mental health problems covered include:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
Mental health crises covered:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Non-suicidal self-injury
- Panic attacks
- Traumatic events
- Severe psychotic states
- Severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- Aggressive behaviour
Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing (2 x 2.5 hour sessions)
Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing sessions (2 x 2.5 hours) follows completion of Course Component 1 – eLearning. Course Component 2 provides course participants with an opportunity to revise content covered in the self-paced eLearning program and to consolidate the application of this content with the development of practical skills in a group environment online.
Course Component 2 provides participants with the opportunity to:
- Revise the eLearning content and the MHFA Action Plan
- Clarify any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- Apply the MHFA Action Plan to relevant scenarios
- Discuss and reflect 'a where to from now' in using mental health first aid skills
- Develop a self-care plan to maintain good mental health.
Both course components of the course are to be completed within a 3-month period.
This course is based on guidelines developed through the expert consensus of people with lived experience of mental health problems and professionals.
Course Delivery & Course Fees
The total course fee comprises two components:
Course Component 1: This self-paced eLearning (5-7 hours) component of the course is completed on Mental Health First Aid Australia’s eLearning platform.
The cost of the eLearning course (Course Component 1 is $55.00* and is available for purchase directly through the MHFA Australia website or this may be purchased via an accredited MHFA Instructor as part of a total course price). The eLearning course component price includes the delivery of a hard copy MHFA Standard Course Manual.
Course Component 2: The Instructor-led video conferencing sessions (2 x 2.5 hours) are delivered by our accredited Instructors nationally. Enrolment and payment for Course Component 2 is completed directly with an accredited Blended Online MHFA Workplace Instructor.
The cost of Course Component 2 (2 x 2.5 hour Instructor-led video conferencing sessions) is negotiated with your local Instructor. Contact your local instructor to confirm their individual fees. Prices may vary depending on specific course delivery requirements, other localised grant subsidies accessible by an accredited Instructor and/or consultancy services that may be provided by the Instructor.
* Please note – the eLearning course component of this course is being provided nationally at the subsidised price of $50+GST until 31 December 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. From 1 January 2021, the eLearning course price component will increase to $150 + GST
All Mental Health First Aid courses are delivered to community members using our decentralised and committed national network of more than 2,000 accredited Mental Health First Aid Instructors.
This same accredited Instructor network will be delivering the Instructor-led video conferencing sessions (Component 2) of our Blended Online MHFA Workplace courses.
There are two possible pathways to register for the Blended Online MHFA Workplace course. Both pathways require the completion of 2 course components.
- Purchase both course components via an independent accredited MHFA Instructor
Search for all upcoming Blended Online MHFA Workplace Courses via our Course Calendar Page by searching ‘Blended Online Workplace Course here.
- Purchase the first eLearning course component directly from MHFA Australia and then identify an independent accredited MHFA Instructor to provide the second course component
In the second pathway, there is a two-step enrolment and payment process required for course participants to complete the full Blended Online MHFA Workplace Course.
- Step 1 - Enrol, pay and complete Blended Online MHFA Workplace Course Component 1 eLearning. You can register your details, pay and enrol in Course Component 1 eLearning by clicking the enrol here button below.
- Step 2 - Find a course and suitable dates to complete Blended Online MHFA Workplace Course Component 2, the Instructor-led video conferencing sessions.
Identify available courses and suitable dates on the MHFA Australia Course Calendar and then make direct contact with the nominated MHFA Instructor to confirm your Course Component 2 booking and course fee.
Upon confirmation of your place, your course Instructor will send you a link via email to your Course Component 2 scheduled video conferencing sessions.
Instructor details and available Course Component 2 dates/times for all upcoming Blended Online MHFA Workplace Courses can be found on MHFA Australia’s Course Calendar Page by searching ‘Blended Online Workplace Course’ here.