The Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course is a 2-component new short course for people 18 years and over.
The course has been developed to support information about providing mental health first aid, and undertaking self-care being provided into Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. It is aimed towards general community level information and is designed as an opportunity to understand mental health problems in our communities and learn some general skills to support ourselves and others. As such, the course does not assume any existing mental health knowledge, and does not provide clinical information about mental health conditions or require completion of assessments. The course contains comprehensive visual and spoken content to support delivery and accessibility.
The course has been developed in response to COVID-19 and includes two course components:
Course Component 1 – Self-paced interactive eLearning (4 hours)
All required resources for participants are supplied online during the eLearning. The eLearning course component covers:
- Social and Emotional Wellbeing
- Definition of Mental health problems & Mental illness
- Mental Health Problems, overview of signs and Symptoms
- Seeking Professional support & identifying cultural supports
Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing (5-hour session) follows the completion of Course Component 1 eLearning. Course Component 2 provides course participants with an opportunity to revise content covered in the self-paced eLearning program and to consolidate the application of this content with the development of practical skills in a group environment online. The Instructor led component covers:
- Revision of the eLearning content
- Clarification of any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- The MHFA Action Plan & Mental Health Crisis
- AMHFA Crisis Action Plan - Crisis first aid for suicidal thoughts, behaviours and non-suicidal self-injury
- Application of ALGEE for mental health problems and overcoming barrier to support seeking
Both course components of the course are to be completed within a 3-month period.
Course Delivery & Course Fee
The total course fee comprises two components:
Course Component 1: This self-paced eLearning (4 hours) component of the course is completed on Mental Health First Aid Australia’s eLearning platform. The cost of the eLearning course is $44.00* and is available for purchase directly through the MHFA Australia website or this may be purchased via an accredited MHFA Instructor as part of a total course price. The eLearning course component price includes all downloadable required resources.
Course Component 2: The Instructor-led video conferencing session (5 hours) is delivered by our Accredited Instructors nationally. Enrolment and payment for Course Component 2 is completed directly with an Accredited Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Instructor. The cost of Course Component 2 (Instructor-led video conferencing session) may vary depending on specific course delivery requirements, other localised grant subsidies accessible by an accredited Instructor and/or additional related support or consultancy services that may be provided by, or negotiated with your local Instructor. Your local Instructor can confirm their individual fees.
* Please note – the current eLearning course fee (component 1) is currently subsidised by Mental Health First Aid International and is being offered at a fixed price nationally in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All AMHFA courses are delivered to community members using our committed national network of accredited Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid Instructors.
This same accredited Instructor network will be delivering the Instructor-led video conferencing session (Component 2) of our Blended Online AMHFA Course.
All AMHFA courses at this time are privately requested courses and are directly arranged with local Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Instructors.
There are two possible pathways to register for the Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course. Both pathways require the completion of 2 course components:
1. Purchase both course components via an independent Accredited AMHFA Instructor who is Accredited to deliver the Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course. Find your local Instructor and confirm their individual fees.
2. Purchase the first eLearning course component directly from MHFA Australia and then identify an independent local Instructor accredited to deliver the Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course to provide the second course component. You can register your details, pay and enrol in Course Component 1 by clicking the apply button below.
If you have not done so already you will need identify a local Instructor that is accredited to deliver this online course to arrange delivery of Component 2. You can find a local Instructor here.
Upon confirmation of your place by the AMHFA Instructor, you will be sent a link via email to your Course Component 2 scheduled video conferencing session.