The Blended Online Mental Health Yarns course is a 2-component new short course for people 18 years and over.
The course has been developed to support information about providing mental health first aid, and undertaking self-care being provided into Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. It is aimed towards general community level information and is designed as an opportunity to understand mental health problems in our communities and learn some general skills to support ourselves and others. As such, the course does not assume any existing mental health knowledge, and does not provide clinical information about mental health conditions or require completion of assessments. The course contains comprehensive visual and spoken content to support delivery and accessibility.
The course has been developed in response to COVID-19 and includes two course components:
Course Component 1 – Self-paced interactive eLearning (4 hours)
All required resources for participants are supplied online during the eLearning. The eLearning course component covers:
- Social and Emotional Wellbeing
- Definition of Mental health problems & Mental illness
- Mental Health Problems, overview of signs and Symptoms
- Seeking Professional support & identifying cultural supports
Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing (5-hour session) follows the completion of Course Component 1 eLearning. Course Component 2 provides course participants with an opportunity to revise content covered in the self-paced eLearning program and to consolidate the application of this content with the development of practical skills in a group environment online. The Instructor led component covers:
- Revision of the eLearning content
- Clarification of any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- The MHFA Action Plan & Mental Health Crisis
- AMHFA Crisis Action Plan - Crisis first aid for suicidal thoughts, behaviours and non-suicidal self-injury
- Application of ALGEE for mental health problems and overcoming barrier to support seeking
Both course components of the course are to be completed within a 3-month period.
Course Delivery & Course Fee
The current total cost to complete the Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course is $209.00 (incl. GST) per participant*.
- The cost of the eLearning course is $44.00 which also includes all downloadable required resources.
- The cost of the 5 hour video conferencing sessions is $165 including GST (this may be $150 if the Instructor is not registered for GST). Your Instructor can confirm their individual fees.
* Please note – the current total course fee is currently subsidised by Mental Health First Aid International and is being offered at a fixed price nationally in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All AMHFA courses are delivered to community members using our committed national network of accredited Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid Instructors.
This same accredited Instructor network will be delivering the Instructor-led video conferencing sessions of our Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course.
All AMHFA courses at this time are privately requested courses and are directly arranged with local Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Instructors.
This means there is a two-step enrolment and payment process required for course participants to complete the full Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course.
Step 1 - Enrol, pay and complete Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course – Component 1.
This self-paced eLearning (4 hours) component of the course is completed on Mental Health First Aid Australia’s eLearning platform. Course Component 1 – eLearning will be accessible upon registration and payment of the Component 1 fee of $44.00 which is payable directly to Mental Health First Aid Australia.
You can register your details, pay and enrol in Course Component 1 by clicking the apply button below.
Step 2 – Find and book Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing sessions with an accredited AMHFA Instructor
The Instructor-led video conferencing session (5 hours) are delivered by our accredited Instructors nationally. The fee for Course Component 2 is $165.00* (Incl. GST). Enrolment and payment for Course Component 2 is completed directly with an accredited Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Instructor.
The Blended Online Mental Health Yarns Course is a privately requested course. Component 2 - Instructor led video conferencing is directly arranged with an accredited AMHFA Instructor.
If you have not done so already you will need identify a local Instructor that is accredited to deliver this online course to arrange delivery of Component 2. You can find a local Instructor here: https://mhfa.com.au/instructors (set accreditation type to "Blended Online Mental Health Yarns")
Upon confirmation of your place, you will be sent a link via email to your Course Component 2 scheduled video conferencing session.
*(Please note if an accredited Instructor selected is not registered for GST, the Component 2 Course Fee payable will be $150.00).