The Blended Online AMHFA Community course is a 2-component course that has been adapted from the Standard MHFA (SMHFA) course for people 18 years and over. This course has been developed to support information about providing mental health first aid, and undertaking self-care being provided into Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. This course, is specifically targeted at Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and non-indigenous people working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who:
- Have good English literacy.
- Have some mental health literacy.
- Are willing to do some independent reading, 7 hours of online learning, and the completion of required assessments.
In this informative and practical course, participants will learn about the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems in adults, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide mental health first aid in a crisis situation using a practical, evidence-based action plan. Mental health first aid skills learnt by participants in this course can be applied in any setting. Course content includes case-studies, videos and resources.
The course has been developed in response to COVID-19 and includes two course components:
Course Component 1 – A self-paced eLearning component (takes 7 hours to complete). All required resources including an AMFA manual for participants are supplied online during the eLearning.
- Social & Emotional Wellbeing & Mental health problems in the community
- Definitions of Mental health problems, Mental illness & Mental Health First Aid
- Substance use problems
Prevalence, signs and symptoms, crisis situations, ALGEE Action Plan and treatment and supports for:
Course Component 2 – An Instructor-led component using video conferencing (5-hour face to face session, including breaks and set up time).
- Revision of the eLearning content
- Clarification of any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- The MHFA Action Plan & Mental Health Crisis
- AMHFA Crisis Action Plan - Crisis first aid for suicidal thoughts, behaviours and non-suicidal self-injury
- Application of ALGEE for mental health problems and overcoming barrier to support seeking
Course Delivery & Course Fee
The current total cost to complete the Blended Online AMHFA Course is $220.00 (incl. GST) per participant*.
- The cost of the eLearning course is $55.00 which also optional delivery of hard copy AMHFA manual and all downloadable required resources.
- The cost of the 5 hour video conferencing sessions is $165 including GST (this may be $150 if the Instructor is not registered for GST). Your Instructor can confirm their individual fees.
* Please note – the current total course fee is currently subsidised by Mental Health First Aid International and is being offered at a fixed price nationally in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All AMHFA courses are delivered to community members using our committed national network of accredited Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid Instructors.
This same accredited Instructor network will be delivering the Instructor-led video conferencing sessions of our Blended Online AMHFA Course.
All AMHFA courses at this time are privately requested courses and are directly arranged with local Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Instructors.
This means there is a two-step enrolment and payment process required for course participants to complete the full Blended Online AMHFA Course.
Step 1 - Enrol, pay and complete Blended Online AMHFA Course – Component 1.
This self-paced eLearning (4 hours) component of the course is completed on Mental Health First Aid Australia’s eLearning platform. Course Component 1 – eLearning will be accessible upon registration and payment of the Component 1 fee of $55.00 which is payable directly to Mental Health First Aid Australia.
You can register your details, pay and enrol in Course Component 1 by clicking the apply button below.
Step 2 – Find and book Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing sessions with an accredited AMHFA Instructor
The Instructor-led video conferencing session (5 hours) are delivered by our accredited Instructors nationally. The fee for Course Component 2 is $165.00* (Incl. GST). Enrolment and payment for Course Component 2 is completed directly with an accredited Blended Online AMHFA Instructor.
The Blended Online AMHFA Course is a privately requested course. Component 2 - Instructor led video conferencing is directly arranged with an accredited AMHFA Instructor.
If you have not done so already you will need identify a local Instructor that is accredited to deliver this online course to arrange delivery of Component 2. You can find a local Instructor here: https://mhfa.com.au/instructors (set accreditation type to "Blended Online AMHFA Community")
Upon confirmation of your place, you will be sent a link via email to your Course Component 2 scheduled video conferencing session.
*(Please note if an accredited Instructor selected is not registered for GST, the Component 2 Course Fee payable will be $150.00).