The Blended Online Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid course is a 2-component course that is for any interested adults, 18 years and over.
In this informative and strengths-based course you will learn how to assist Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander young people who may be experiencing a mental health problem or mental health crisis until appropriate professional support is received or the crisis resolves, using practical, evidence based action plan. You will be grounded in social and emotional well-being from an Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander perspective and explore strengths-based communication tips to engage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander young people.
Mental health first aid skills learnt by participants in this course can be applied in any setting. Course content includes case-studies, videos and resources.
The course consists of two course components:
Course Component 1 – A self-paced eLearning component (takes 7 hours to complete). All required resources including a Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid manual for participants are supplied online during the eLearning.
- Session 1:
- Social and emotional well-being
- Youth development
- Mental health problems in the community
- Strengths based communication tips
- Session 2: Mental Health First Aid for Depression and Anxiety
- Session 3: Mental Health First Aid for Substance Misuse
- Session 4: Mental Health First Aid for Disordered Eating
Course Component 2 – Instructor-led video conferencing (5-hour session, including breaks and set up)
This course component allows participants the opportunity to revise and consolidate practical skills in a group environment. The video conferencing component is designed to be delivered after participants have completed the eLearning component of the Blended Online Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Course. The focus of this session is on the revision and application of knowledge and skills learnt in the eLearning component and provides participants opportunity for:
- Revision of the eLearning content
- Clarification of any points of uncertainty remaining after completion of the eLearning modules
- Mental health crisis
- Talking self-harm
- Crisis Action Plan
- ALGEE Action Plan
Course Delivery & Course Fee
The total course fee comprises two components:
- The cost of the eLearning course is $55 which includes a hard copy Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA manual (postage costs will be additional)
- The cost of the 5-hour video conferencing session is negotiated with your local YAMHFA Instructor. Contact your local Instructor to confirm their individual fees. Prices may vary depending on specific course delivery requirements, other localised grant subsidies accessible by an accredited Instructor and/or consultancy services that may be provided by the Instructor
* Please note – the eLearning fee of this course is currently being subsidised by Mental Health First Aid International in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The self-paced eLearning component of the course is completed on Mental Health First Aid Australia’s eLearning platform.
All AMHFA courses are delivered to community members using our committed national network of accredited Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid Instructors.
This same accredited Instructor network will be delivering the Instructor-led video conferencing session of our Blended Online Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Course.
All Blended Online AMHFA Instructor-led video conferencing at this time are privately requested courses and are directly arranged with local Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Instructors.
There are two possible pathways to enrol in the Blended Online Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Course. Both pathways require the completion of 2 course components:
- Purchase both course components via an independent accredited Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Instructor . Search for a Youth Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander MHFA Instructor here.
- Contact a Youth AMHFA Instructor to secure your place for the Instructor-led component here, following this purchase the eLearning course component directly from MHFA Australia and complete the eLearning. Once you have completed the eLearning you are ready to attend the Instructor-led video conference.