In Australia, about 1.1% of the adult population (about 200,000 people) can be categorised as having gambling problems, with a further 230,000 to 350,000 experiencing moderate risks that may make them vulnerable to gambling problems.
Many Australian's lives are impacted directly and indirectly as a result of problem gambling. Those with gambling problems are at increased risk of suicide and likely to experience mental health problems including depression, anxiety and substance use problems.
This course aims to address these concerns by teaching community members how to provide mental health first aid to people experiencing gambling problems.
What the Course Covers
Curriculum content is based on expert consensus guidelines developed with the Delphi method using both professional and consumer experts from English speaking developed countries.
You will learn:
- The risk factors, signs and symptoms and motivations which may underpin gambling problems
- How to approach someone about their gambling problems
- How relapse might affect someone with gambling problems
- How to manage your own self-care when helping someone with gambling problems.
You will also have the opportunity to practice these skills in a safe environment.
- This course consists of 4-hours of face-to-face training.
- Course participants receive a Handbook to keep and receive a digital Certificate of Completion when they submit online feedback.
Who can attend a course
Any interested adult can attend. Please note this course is not a therapy or support group, rather it is an education course to learn how to give first aid to someone who is experiencing gambling problems.
Finding a course
MHFA for Gambling Problems will be available to the general public from January 2018.
MHFA does not centrally coordinate courses. Contact any of the MHFA for Gambling Problems Accredited Instructors listed on the Instructor page to arrange a course in your area. Instructors also advertise their courses at our course calendar. Most instructors are willing to travel but need expenses covered.
Instructors also advertise their courses on our course calendar.
Your local instructor can confirm their individual fees.