States Available In
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
Nicholas currently offers 7x Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Australia courses for businesses, community groups and individuals:
- 'Standard MHFA' - 12hrs (learn more) - Nicholas equips participants with a practical and evidence-based action plan to provide mental health first aid to those experiencing a mental health problem or crises.
- 'Standard MHFA Refresher' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas refreshes the knowledge and skills of participants who have previously completed the 'Standard MHFA' course, offering them the opportunity to extend their accreditation for a further 3 years.
- 'Blended MHFA (Community)' - 2 x 3hrs (learn more) - Nicholas delivers the instructor-led sessions (component 2) after participants complete their self-paced interactive eLearning (component 1).
- 'Conversations About Suicide' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas teaches participants how to safely have a conversation with a suicidal person.
- 'Conversations About Non Suicidal Self-Injury (NSSI)' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas gives participants an opportunity to learn how to help someone who is engaging in self-injury.
- 'Conversations About Gambling' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas guides participants on how to identify, approach and support someone experiencing gambling harm.
- 'MHFA: Engaging Leaders' - 1.5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas presents a 90-minute session best suited to senior leaders and decision-makers about how MHFA can support mentally healthy workplaces.
*All of the above courses can be delivered face-to-face. The following courses are also delivered online: 'Standard MHFA Refresher', 'Blended MHFA (Community)', 'Conversations About Gambling' and 'MHFA: Engaging Leaders' (all online courses are open to participants across Australia).
↓↓↓ Check out Nicholas' upcoming public courses at the bottom of this page ↓↓↓
Clients include: Yarra City, Northern Grampians Shire and City of Greater Geelong Councils, Charles Sturt University, MatchWorks, genU, IPA, GMHBA, GPSN + more.
Nicholas delivers these 7x Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Australia courses as a sole trader, and working with genU. Additionally, he is a MHFAider Network Advisory Member, helping to support, celebrate and connect MHFAider's across Australia by advising on community events, engagement strategies and skill development opportunities.
Outside of MHFA Australia, Nicholas proudly facilitates workshops for teenage boys to realise their potential, build healthy relationships and lead their communities through his work with The Man Cave. Through his work with batyr, he shares his lived experience of losing a dear friend to suicide at schools, universities, TAFE's, sporting clubs and workplaces, sparking meaningful dialogue about mental health. Nicholas also offers his experience and expertise of the mental health and education sectors to the National Mental Health Commission as part of their National Stigma and Discrimination Reduction Strategy.
In both his work and day-to-day life, Nicholas is playful and energetic, whilst being someone who loves to foster conversations of depth and vulnerability. More than anything, he credits his mum for being able to tune into the emotional quality of others, as she passed down and then nurtured his empathy.
► "I found the way [Nicholas] guided us gently through the topics with a balance of thoughtful insight, yet challenging conversation to be the perfect combination." - Emmalie Clark-Fernandes (genU Training)
► "Nic was professional, knowledgeable, but also relatable... Highly recommend attending [his] training, especially for anyone working in a field dealing in mental health, wellness or illness." - Julie Stonham (Boston Scientific)
► "Nicholas skilfully wove his lived experience of the mental health sector with time spent in corporate and not-for-profit settings to bring theory and practice alive... He was unafraid of courageous conversations [and] he created safe spaces and strong connections." - Kate Riddell (MHFA Instructor Trainer)
► "Nic excels as a facilitator due to his calm yet engaging delivery style and ability to encourage and support participants with sharing their information and lived experience." - Jacqueline Cleworth (MatchWorks Central Coast NSW)
► "Nicholas [is] highly adept at imparting knowledge and keeping his audience stimulated... The sessions were extremely engaging and eye opening." - Pete Hunter (MatchWorks)
► "Nicholas is a passionate instructor... He makes learning interactive and inclusive [and] my colleagues and I benefitted greatly from the learnings." - Jennifer Guo (Yarra City Council)
Learn more about Nicholas' journey to becoming a MHFA instructor here.
Specialities: Mental Health, Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health Advocacy, Suicide Prevention, NSSI Prevention, Group Facilitation, Training & Development, Community Development, Team Building, Public Speaking.
Want to work with Nicholas? Send him a direct enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
↓↓↓ Check out Nicholas' upcoming public courses below ↓↓↓