States Available In
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
Nicholas currently offers 6x Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Australia courses for businesses, community groups and individuals:
- 'Standard MHFA' - 12hrs (learn more) - Nicholas equips participants with a practical and evidence-based action plan to provide mental health first aid to those experiencing a mental health problem or crises.
- 'Standard MHFA Refresher' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas refreshes the knowledge and skills of people who have previously completed the 'Standard MHFA' course, offering them the opportunity to extend their accreditation for a further 3 years.
- 'Blended MHFA (Community)' - 2 x 3hrs (learn more) - Nicholas delivers the instructor-led sessions (component 2) after participants complete their self-paced interactive eLearning (component 1).
- 'Conversations About Suicide' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas teaches participants how to safely have a conversation with a suicidal person.
- 'Conversations About Non Suicidal Self-Injury (NSSI)' - 5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas gives participants an opportunity to learn how to help someone who is engaging in self-injury.
- 'MHFA: Engaging Leaders' - 1.5hrs (learn more) - Nicholas presents a 90-minute session best suited to senior leaders and decision-makers about how MHFA can support mentally healthy workplaces.
*All of the above courses can be delivered face-to-face or online (except for 'Standard MHFA' which is only face-to-face). All online courses are open to participants across Australia.
Clients include: Yarra City Council, City of Greater Geelong, MatchWorks, genU, Charles Sturt University, GMHBA, Northern Grampians Shire, GPSN + more.
Nicholas delivers MHFA courses through his own business, along with work for genU and genU Training. In his other work, Nicholas speaks at, presents to and coordinates programs for schools across preventative mental health organisation, batyr, anti-bullying movement, PROJECT ROCKIT and youth mentoring foundation, Raise. Additionally, Nicholas is a member of the MHFAider Network Advisory Group, helping to support, celebrate and connect MHFAider's across Australia by advising on community events, engagement strategies and skill development opportunities.
Nicholas spent a decade working in the corporate world, the last three years of which were as a people manager. As such, he is able to connect with people from all walks of life across corporate and community settings. In both his work and day-to-day life, Nicholas is playful and energetic, whilst being sensitive, empathetic and someone who loves to foster conversations of depth and vulnerability.
► "Nicholas skilfully wove his lived experience of the mental health sector with time spent in corporate and not-for-profit settings to bring theory and practice alive... He was unafraid of courageous conversations [and] he created safe spaces and strong connections." - Kate R
► "Nicholas [is] highly adept at imparting knowledge and keeping his audience stimulated... The sessions were extremely engaging and eye opening." - Pete H
► "Nic was professional, knowledgeable, but also relatable... Highly recommend attending [his] training, especially for anyone working in a field dealing in mental health, wellness or illness." - Julie S
► "Nicholas is a passionate instructor... He makes learning interactive and inclusive [and] my colleagues and I benefitted greatly from the learnings." - Jennifer G
Learn more about Nicholas' journey to becoming a MHFA instructor here.
Specialities: Mental Health, Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health Advocacy, Group Facilitation, Training & Development, Community Development, Team Building, Public Speaking.