Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) has spread rapidly within Australia and and has also grown into a universal mental health program, having been adapted for use in a number of other countries. The creators of MHFA, Betty Kitchener OAM and Professor Tony Jorm, have been generous in sharing the program overseas. Rigorous evaluation of the MHFA Program has also contributed to its international uptake.
International MHFA Programs
To date, 23 other countries have adapted the MHFA Australia program for their own settings.
International MHFA Programs Infographic Check out an infographic of MHFA International programs.
This article for more information on the program uptake around the world:
- Kitchener, B.A. & Jorm, A.F. Mental health first aid: An international programme for early intervention. Early Intervention in Psychiatry 2008, 2:55-61 (PDF).
- Find more articles on international MHFA Programs here.
Adapting MHFA for your country
Check out our MHFA International Newsletters
- Download MHFA International Newsletter #3, Nov 2012 (1.61 MB) Produced by MHFA Australia
- Download MHFA International Newsletter #2, Sept 2010 (4.96 MB) Produced by MHFA England
- Download MHFA International Newsletter #1, Oct 2009 (3 MB) Produced by MHFA Australia