Increased flexibility in the delivery of training
Designed for increased flexibility in the delivery of training, a Blended Mental Health First Aid Course is a combination of online (eLearning) and a half day of follow-on face-to-face training. The face-to-face component must be done within 3 months of completing the eLearning component.
Course participants first complete the interactive self-paced eLearning component that teaches them about mental health problems, mental health crises and skills to offer initial help to an adult developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. The follow-on face-to-face session allows participants the opportunity to revise and consolidate knowledge and skills in a group environment, and to apply their skills to specific scenarios.
After completing both steps, participants are eligible to complete a short 20 question online Accreditation Assessment in order to receive a Mental Health First Aider Certificate of Accreditation valid for 3 years. Accredited Mental Health First Aiders are eligible to be appointed as Mental Health First Aid Officers in the workplace. Read all about the MHFAider Program.
Which MHFA courses are Blended?
At this time, these are the available Blended MHFA courses.
- Blended MHFA for the White Collar Workplace ($150 plus Instructor fee for face-to-face session)
- Blended MHFA for Medical Students (free to Australian Medical students until March 2017)
- Blended MHFA for Nursing Students (free to Australian Nursing students until March 2017)
- Blended MHFA for Tertiary Students ($50 plus Instructor fee for face-to-face session)
Check out the FAQ for Blended MHFA courses
For more detailed information on Blended MHFA courses and other important MHFA information see the MHFA courses FAQ.
What are the next steps?
Enrolling in a Blended Course is a multi-step process:
- Register an account on our website
- Enrol and complete the eLearning component - you can do this via our eLearning page
- Attend a follow-up face-to-face session - you can do this via our find an Instructor page
- Attempt the MHFAider Accreditation Exam - An email is sent to participants after they attend a face-to-face session
Timing a face-to-face session
You need to complete the face-to-face component within 3 months of completing the eLearning component. The face-to-face session of the Blended Course is not centrally coordinated by Mental Health First Aid Australia.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the responsibility of course participants to contact any of the MHFA instructors listed on the Find an Instructor page with the respective MHFA accreditation icon next to their names to arrange a course in their area. Most instructors are willing to travel but need expenses covered.